How to configure your Internet Connection Setup settings for QuickBooks
Completion of this process is required before you can utilize QuickBook’s secure transfer method for providing your accountant with an Accountant’s Copy file (see separate post for more information regarding creation of Accountant’s Copy files). Once you have completed this process once, you should not have to do it again unless you encounter connectivity issues when attempting a secure transfer. Please contact us should you have any questions.
To complete the configuration of your QuickBooks Internet Connection Setup:
- Start QuickBooks.
- Go to the Help menu and click Internet Connection Setup.
- Follow the instructions to choose how you connect to the Internet:
a) Click Use the following connection if your ISP requires you to always start its proprietary program to connect to the Internet. For example, some America Online (AOL) accounts work like this. You might also choose this option if you have more than one way to access the Internet and want to use a specific one. After choosing this option, click the connection QuickBooks should use in the list, and then click Next to go on.
b) (Most Common) Click Use my computer’s Internet connection settings if your computer is correctly set up to access the Internet without you having to do anything. If you are not sure, choose this option. After choosing this option, click Next to go on.
- Click Done to finish.
To verify that QuickBooks is now able to connect to the internet:
- Go to the Help menu and click Update QuickBooks. Open the QuickBooks Update Service
- Click the Update Now button.
- Click Get Updates, then watch the status bar as the update proceeds.
If QuickBooks is unable to connect to the internet after following the steps above, there may be a conflict between QuickBooks and your firewall settings.
- If you have a firewall, make sure that its security settings allow QuickBooks to access the Internet. Port 80 (for HTTP) and port 443 (for HTTPS) should be enabled.
- These two files should be allowed to access the Internet: qbw32.exe (the QuickBooks program) and qbupdate.exe (the QuickBooks Update Agent).
Should you have any questions, or issues with connectivity, we will be glad to suggest alternate means of delivery for your Accountant’s Copy file.
Information above has been adapted from QuickBooks “Help” tutorial